Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Not all those who wander are lost.

Okay, so I wasn't lost in the Tolkien sort of way, I was actually following my GPS. But hear me out.

This past weekend I did myself a favor and headed north. Just some time to get lost in the woods, or something like that. I was traveling to a familiar part of Minnesota, but still needed help getting there. I punched the address into the GPS and off I went. I thought I knew which roads would take me to my destination. I'm happy to report there was a better way.

The usual route, well it's a bit boring. This new path, oh it was beautiful. There were twists and turns, roads lined with forest, quiet country ways with only one lane in each direction. The newness of it was charming.

It was like I was a modern-day cowboy - driving off into the sunset, with the city behind me and no schedule before. Except I was driving a Pontiac and am clearly not a boy. Well, maybe if John Wayne was 24 and a woman and living in 2011...let's be honest here, it really wasn't that epic or romantic. In fact it was just, pleasant. It was a pleasant three hour drive north, but with a few hidden gems waiting to be found along the way. I didn't need to know my route, my only job: enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment